Virat Kohli is in the same bracket as Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting: Curtly Ambrose

Virat Kohli
Virat Kohli. (Source - Getty Images)

Whenever there is a discussion about the greatest batters of all time in cricket, the name of Virat Kohli is taken inevitably. The 35-year-old has garnered fans all across the globe with his exceptional performances, both internationally and in franchise cricket as well. 

Considered one of the biggest athletes in the world, Kohli is often put in comparison with the legendary Sachin Tendulkar. Notably, Kohli is rapidly approaching Tendulkar’s record of 100 centuries in international cricket. The star batter has 80 centuries to his name.

Recently, Kohli broke Tendulkar’s record of most ODI hundreds (49) as he registered his 50th century against New Zealand in the ODI World Cup 2023. Given his consistent performances over the years, the former West Indies cricketer Curtly Ambrose has put Kohli in the same bracket as Tendulkar and former Australia skipper Ricky Ponting. 

“Virat Kohli, the great man, someone who I admire as well, I love watching him. Don’t ask me to compare them (Sachin and Virat). I think, I don’t think I know he’s a great player and how I judge players because people like to compare different eras. I don’t particularly like to do those things,” said Ambrose in an interview with Sports Tak.

“But what I can say is when I look at great batsmen, how I judge them. Like presently Virat Kohli, he’s dominating today’s cricket, my question to myself is would he have done well during my era or before my era? I believe he would and because of that that’s why I give him great. Sachin Tendulkar is the same thing, Ricky Ponting and these guys are great players because they can dominate any era,” he added.

Kohli has been unable to come into his own in the ongoing T20 World Cup 2024. Coming off a sensational season in the IPL (Indian Premier League), the right-hander has only scored 66 runs from five innings at an average of 13.20 and a strike rate of 108.19 in the World Cup. Kohli has been unable to find his form opening the innings, however, the team and he will hope that the same will not be the case in India’s upcoming clash against Australia.



from Cricket News: Today's Top news and headlines from cricket world | CricTracker.com https://ift.tt/ue2FotK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Axar Patel will not play Asia Cup 2023 Final match against Sri Lanka?

T20 World Cup 2024: USA vs Canada, 1st Match - Who Said What?