Report Abuse

Labels

Lost one of my mates due to being hit in the head - Nathan Lyon rubbishes Kevin Pietersens food for thought narrative regarding concussion substitute

Kevin Pietersen & Nathan Lyon.
Kevin Pietersen & Nathan Lyon. (Photo Source : Gettyimages)

Nathan Lyon stunned the cricketing world by coming out to bat on Day 4 of the second Ashes Test at the iconic Lord’s despite a calf injury and barely able to walk. Notably, the veteran spin wizard suffered a calf tear on the second day of the match and can very well get ruled out of the ongoing series but Lyon was brave enough to take the field, even when the medical professionals advised him not to.

Interestingly, the entire stadium gave Lyon a standing ovation as he was marching towards the stumps but former England international Kevin Pietersen shared a different perspective and eventually criticised the Australia international. The 43-year-old mentioned that the cricketer might be looking to get hurt on his head so that the visiting team can avail concussion substitute in the fourth innings.

Notably, the comment didn’t sit well with Lyon. After the end of the day’s play, the 35-year-old mentioned that he lost one of his mates (Phillip Hughes) due to a head injury and that he would never want something like that. The veteran spinner added saying that he was very proud of his efforts and is willing to do it again if required.

“I have heard comments that I only went out there to get hit in the head but I'm really against that. I have lost one of my mates due to being hit in the head so I think that's a really poor conversation being had, if I'm honest with you,” Lyon was quoted as saying by Cricbuzz.

“I knew the risks but the way I look at it... I'll do anything for this team. You never know how big a 15-run partnership can be in an Ashes series. I'm proud of myself for going out there and doing that. I'll do it again and again and again. I love this team. I love playing cricket for Australia. And if I can keep playing my role and help out my teammates I'll do that,” the legendary off-spinner added.

I will start this rehab journey now to get back: Lyon

As things stand, Nathan Lyon is all set to miss his first Test after representing Australia in 100 consecutive matches. Speaking about the same, Lyon shared that he is devastated and will be sitting with the medical team to analyse his condition and chart out the next course of action.

"I have been absolutely shattered. I have been in tears, I have been upset, I have been hurting. That shows this team means everything to me. And I will start this rehab journey now to get back and play my role and keep loving what I am able to do. After doing this for 13 years and not missing a day of school, if you can put it like that, it's going to be challenging. It's going to be different. It's a different challenge. But we always look forward to different challenges and trying to find a way to get better," Lyon concluded.



from Cricket News: Latest and Breaking Cricket News & Updates Today | CricTracker.com https://ift.tt/oV30FTl

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post
Ad