'Got no interest in going any time soon, have got a lot more to give' - James Anderson shuts down retirement talk

James Anderson
James Anderson. (Photo Source: OLI SCARFF/AFP via Getty Images)

Veteran England pacer James Anderson has asserted that he is determined to give more to his squad, dismissing calls for his retirement. The 41-year-old has only taken five wickets in the ongoing Ashes series which raises questions about his form. 

The all-time leading wicket-taker for England admitted the difficulties of having lean patches during an important series. However, he is optimistic about his skills, saying that he has another innings to contribute to his side.

"You pray that these lean patches don't come in one of the biggest series you could play in but unfortunately for me that is the case. I've still got another innings to try to do something for the team," Anderson told Test Match Special.

The veteran believes he has demonstrated his skill on Day 2 of the ongoing fifth Ashes Test at The Oval in London. Even as Anderson could get a solitary scalp, it happened to be of an important batter, as he got rid of all-rounder Mitchell Marsh.

Meanwhile, England bowled out Australia for 295 runs, giving the tourists a 12-run lead. The five-game series is currently 2-1 in Australia's favour after the fourth Test in Manchester ended in a draw due to rain.

"I felt like today I bowled really well and on another day I could have got a couple more wickets. It felt like I challenged the forward defence a lot, which is what I've tried to do throughout my career," the fast bowler added.

I feel like I've got a lot more to give: Anderson

Anderson reckoned that once 30, every pacer faces the retirement question as everyone is concerned about how long one would continue. The 41-year-old also stated that he has been in complete control of his body for the past four years. He reiterated he had no plans to retire soon since he believes he has a lot more to give to his team.

"As soon as you get into your 30s as a bowler, people are asking how long you've got left. But in the past three or four years, I've bowled as well as I ever have. I feel like I've been in so much control, my body has been in a good place, my skills are as good as they ever have been," he said.

"The numbers, the wickets, the selection side of it is a completely different issue. If Stokesy and Baz say 'you've not got the wickets we would have liked' then I'd be absolutely fine with that. In terms of retirement, I've got no interest in going any time soon. I feel like I've got a lot more to give," the English pacer concluded.



from Cricket News: Latest and Breaking Cricket News & Updates Today | CricTracker.com https://ift.tt/i4NC50O

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virat Kohli is in the same bracket as Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting: Curtly Ambrose

'I was almost embarrassed with our first half of the game today' - Ricky Ponting after DC's 106-run defeat versus KKR

Why Axar Patel will not play Asia Cup 2023 Final match against Sri Lanka?